In this article, we’ll consider the installation, configuration, and activation of Remote Desktop Licensing role on Windows Server 2019/2016, as well as the installation and activation of the RDS client access licenses (CALs).
- Installing the Remote Desktop Licensing Role on Windows Server 2019/2016
- Activating the RDS License Server on Windows Server
- RDS CALs: Types of Remote Desktop Client Access Licenses
- Installing RDS CALs on Windows Server 2016/2019
- How to Remove RDS CALs from a RD License Server?
- Specify a License Server Address on an RD Session Hosts
Installing the Remote Desktop Licensing Role on Windows Server 2019/2016
You can deploy the Remote Desktop License service on any domain server; it is not necessary to install it on one of the servers onthe RDSH farm.
Before you start the installation, add a new server to the Terminal Server License Servers domain group (or make sure you have the permission to change this group membership), otherwise the server won’t be able to issue RDS Per User CAL to the domain users.
You can install Remote Desktop Licensing using Server Manager. To do it, select Remote Desktop Services role in the Add Roles and Features Wizard.Select the activation method (automatic, online or by phone) and the license program (in our case, it is Enterprise Agreement).